WordPress Simple Membership Plugin shows you how to easily create a membership website and add various membership levels using this plugin.
Last Updated: April 8, 2020
Latest News: Updated the documentation.
Simple Membership plugin is a simple powerful membership plugin. There are few settings to configure and set up the plugin. The developers keep adding more features from time to time. There are free and paid add-ons you can use to add more usability and functionality to the plugin.
The developers keep adding more free and paid add-ons from the request made by users. This is an advantage for the user.
This plugin will keep on growing but the main focus will be to keep it simple for users. It also has a great support staff available who are constantly answering the questions asked in the forum.
WordPress Simple Membership Plugin
The following list of tutorials will guide you and help you set up your membership site. There is also a troubleshooting post to help you with some of the issues you might run into.
Simple Membership 3.9.6 Changelog
- Added a new global settings for Stripe API keys in the “Payment Settings” tab. It can be used to enter your API keys (instead of individual buttons each time).
- Added a new filter to allow customization of the email activation message (if the email activation feature is enabled).
- The subsequent payments for stripe subscription will also be captured in the payments menu. Need to add the “invoice.payment_succeeded” to the webhook events monitoring.
To Do List:
- Create a discount coupon addon. See the following forum post.
- The developers are planning to add an option that allows you to unsubscribe the members from the MailChimp and Aweber list if they unsubscribe from the site and they wish to be removed from the mailing list.
- A prompt in the members homepage (visible once logged in), when their membership is about to run out (say 30 days before). This would only be visible until they renewed, then reappear in 30 days time. See the following forum post.
- Limit Username to one login at a time. The developers are looking at developing an addon. See the following forum post.
- Will you allow adding shortcodes into the custom messages? The developers will add this in the future. See the following forum post.
- Is it possible to add a birthday field in the default member fields? The developers will add this in the future. See the following forum post.
- 1) A visual password strength indicator under the Password field, 2) Messages about the Login status being displayed above the Login form and with a background color, 3) The possibility to set up a certain number of login attempts and when a user hits this number, he can’t login again for a period of time? The developers have added this, check the following forum post to learn more.
Possible future addon:
- I was wondering if you have any thoughts of developing an addon that allows one member to belong to different membership levels? = Yes, the developers will add this feature sometime in the future.
Currently Not Supported:
- Content dripping is not a currently supported feature. See the following forum post.
What You Need:
- Simple Membership plugin.
- (Optional: Documentation you might want to read how-to-deal-with-the-common-challenges-of-a-membership-site)
- (Optional: You might be interested in the following documentation adding-a-terms-and-conditions-and-privacy-policy-to-member-registration-page.) (Translation Note: If you need to translate the error message displayed in the checkbox, check the following forum post for a solution.)
Simple Membership Plugin Tutorial List:
- Membership Levels
- Members Login Widget
- Join Us Page
- Hide Adminbar
- MailChimp Integration Setup
- After Login Redirect add-on
- Form Builder
- Custom Message Add-on
- Free Level Setup
- Shortcode List
- Add Members Manually
- Make Site Semi Private
- Data Exporter Addon
- Install Simple Membership Plugin In WordPress Multisites
- Show Member Extra Info
- WooCommerce Addon Settings
- Add BuddyPress Signup Users To Simple Membership Members
- Partial Section Protection Addon
- Edit Simple Membership Default English Strings
Q1 GDPR compliance question. Does simple membership plugin store the data of the users or members anywhere else other than on the own WP-System? This is an important part of the new guidelines of the GDPR.
Answer: The members information (that they enter) is stored ONLY in your site’s database. Nothing is ever sent to anywhere else by this plugin.
Q2 Does this plugin retain card information? And how do I answer the compliance question with stripe?
Answer: This plugin does not store any card information.
Q3 Is there a way to have the <button id> excluded from the customer’s transaction receipt?
Answer: No, you can read more about it from the following forum post.
Q4 Can I use a Social Login plugin to create an account?
Answer: Yes, please check the following URL https://simple-membership-plugin.com/social-login-plugin-simple-membership/ to learn more.
Note: Different people might want different behavior with the above integration process. If you require a customization please submit the contact form and one of the developers will get back to you with a quote.
Q5 For membership expiration date, can we put an hour in that field?
Answer: No, you can read more about it from the following forum post.
Q6 Is it possible to completely hide messages from protected categories for non-members?
Answer: No. WordPress category page (where all the posts from a category is displayed) is not something this plugin controls. Any content of protected posts will be hidden but that listing page will stay as is. In your theme, you should be able to apply a customization that doesn’t list anything if it is one of those special categories (your theme files control the blog post entry listings on the category page).you can read more about it from the following forum post.
Q7 How to disable “edit profile” after member has logged in? I do not want my members to change their password because I will be providing one to them.
Answer: If you don’t want them to change the password on the edit profile page then you can hide the password fields in the edit profile form. The following forum post has more information.
Q8 I’m using the PayPal Smart Button with the SMP. I want to expand my audience and offer alternative payment methods like SOFORT payments which is used in German speaking countries. Is this possible?
Answer: No, SOFORT won’t work with SMP unfortunately. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q9 What we’re looking for is a way to have an offline payment button (on a special page we’ll use when we’re at events) that means the user will sit in “registration” mode until we update the record (after taking payment through our card reader). Is this possible?
Answer: Here is a suggestion that may work. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q10 Can the plugin auto generate Member’s Serial Number?
Answer: No. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q11 I want to fire a Facebook Pixel when somebody clicks on the PayPal Smart Button which I have implemented with a short code. Ho do I do this?
Answer: This is not a feature we have unfortunately. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Note: You might be interested in the following link Simple Membership VS eMember WP Plugins.
I will be adding more information and more tutorials in the future. So make sure you bookmark this page and keep coming back for the latest updates.
If you have any questions please let me know.