WordPress Simple Membership Plugin shows you how to easily create a membership website and add various membership levels using this plugin.
Last Updated: November 10, 2023
Latest News: Updated the changelog version in the document.
Simple Membership plugin is a simple yet powerful membership plugin. There are few settings to configure to set up the plugin before you begin. The developers keep adding more features from time to time. There are free and paid add-ons you can use to add more usability and functionality to the plugin.
The developers keep adding more free and paid add-ons from the request made by users. This is an advantage for the user.
This plugin will keep on growing but the main focus will be to keep it simple for users. It also has a great support staff available who are constantly answering the questions asked in the forum.
WordPress Simple Membership Plugin
The following list of tutorials will guide you and help you set up your membership site. There is also a troubleshooting post to help you with some of the issues you might run into.
Simple Membership 4.3.7 Changelog
- Added new form and validation Interface for registration and edit profile forms.
- New settings field added to turn on/off the new UI for the registration and profile forms. This option is located in the Advanced Settings menu.
- The goal with this new option is to offer a more mobile responsive UI for the registration and profile forms.
- Added a new action hook (swpm_before_login_form_widget) in the login.php file.
- Added a new action hook (swpm_before_loggedin_widget) in the loggedin.php file.
- The edit membership level interface shows the currently editing membership level’s ID.
- Added a new action hook (swpm_front_end_reset_password_using_link_completed). Thanks to @MedTRGit.
- Updated the translation POT file.
- Refactored the Stripe session create code to a separate class.
- Filter hooks updated to to customize password validation rules and messages for the new form UI.
- Updated the Swedish translation files.
To Do List:
- Create a discount coupon addon. See the following forum post.
- The developers are planning to add an option that allows you to unsubscribe the members from the MailChimp and Aweber list if they unsubscribe from the site and they wish to be removed from the mailing list.
- A prompt in the members homepage (visible once logged in), when their membership is about to run out (say 30 days before). This would only be visible until they renewed, then reappear in 30 days time. See the following forum post.
- Limit Username to one login at a time. The developers are looking at developing an addon. See the following forum post.
- Will you allow adding shortcodes into the custom messages? The developers will add this in the future. See the following forum post.
- Is it possible to add a birthday field in the default member fields? The developers will add this in the future. See the following forum post.
- 1) A visual password strength indicator under the Password field, 2) Messages about the Login status being displayed above the Login form and with a background color, 3) The possibility to set up a certain number of login attempts and when a user hits this number, he can’t login again for a period of time? The developers have added this to the to do list. Check the following forum post to learn more.
- Can I use your plugin with Braintree subscription? Not yet, we have this in “to do” list. Check the following forum post to learn more.
- I would like to include on the member’s page or dashboard a shortcode that displays their transaction. I mean, their membership payments. Is that possible? Not yet, this has been added in the to do list. Check the following forum post to learn more.
- I’ve been through the documentation (addons included) but can’t find a shortcode to display the billing amount (charge/fee/price) for subscription to a level. Perhaps there isn’t one? The developers have plans to add this in the future. Check the following forum post to learn more.
Possible future addon:
- I was wondering if you have any thoughts of developing an addon that allows one member to belong to different membership levels? = Yes, the developers will add this feature sometime in the future.
Currently Not Supported:
- Content dripping is not a currently supported feature. See the following forum post.
What You Need:
- Simple Membership plugin.
- (Optional: Documentation you might want to read how-to-deal-with-the-common-challenges-of-a-membership-site)
- (Optional: You might be interested in the following documentation adding-a-terms-and-conditions-and-privacy-policy-to-member-registration-page.)
Before you go ahead and read my tutorials below, I recommend reading through the following documentation first.
- Basic Setup Documentation
- Membership Registration Process Overview
- (Important) Message from the simple membership team
Simple Membership Plugin Tutorial List
Admin Panel Settings
- Membership Levels
- Payments and Transactions
- Show Member Extra Info
- Shortcode List
- Members Login Widget
- Free Level Setup
- Join Us Page
- Hide Adminbar
- How to Translate the Simple Membership Plugin
- Edit Simple Membership Default English Strings
- Translate Simple Membership Using Loco Translate
Addons / Extensions
- After Login Redirect addon
- Data Exporter Addon
- Partial Section Protection Addon
- WooCommerce Addon Settings
- Form Builder
- Custom Message Addon
Troubleshooting / FAQ
Note: You might be interested in the following link Simple Membership VS eMember WP Plugins.
I will be adding more information and more tutorials in the future. So make sure you bookmark this page and keep coming back for the latest updates.
If you have any questions please let me know.