WordPress Simple Membership General Settings post shows you how to setup the plugins general settings including debug log and more.
Last Updated: December 21, 2022
Latest News: Updated the information.
Simple Membership plugin is simple, easy to configure and setup. There are a few configurations under the General Settings tab. These settings include membership URLs pages, enable free membership registration, default account status setup, enable Debug Mode and more.
What You Need:
Simple Membership Settings Tutorials List:
- General Settings
- Payments Settings
- Email Settings
- Advanced Settings
- Blacklisting & Whitelisting
- Addons Settings
WordPress Simple Membership General Settings
Step 1 ) Go to WP Membership -> Settings -> General Settings to set up the following options. See image below.
General Settings Options
- Enable Free Membership Level
- Free Membership Level ID
Documentation Of Interest:
Step 2 ) The following image allows you to set up the following options.
General Settings More Features Options
- Enable More Tag Protection = Note: Please check the following documentation creating-teaser-content-membership-site to learn how to set up more tag protection.
- Hide Adminbar = Note: Please check the following documentation hide adminbar to learn how to hide the adminbar from your members.
- Show Adminbar to Admin
- Disable Access to WP Dashboard = Note: When this feature is enabled, you will not be able to make changes to Admin Dashboard Access Permission feature in Advanced Settings tab. You can only use one of both options. Check the following documentation wordpress-simple-membership-advanced-settings for more information.
Step 2-a ) The following image allows you to set up the following options.
General Settings Extra Features Options
- Default Account status
- Members Must be Logged in to Comment. Note: If you want to stop the public from viewing the comments, the following addon full-page-protection-addon-simple-membership can help.
- Enable Toggle Password Visibility in Login Form
- Enable Password Reset Using Link = Note: Read the following documentation password-reset-notification-email-customization to learn more.
Step 2-b ) The following image Default Account Status allows you to set up the default accounts status when members register for the first time.
- Activation Required
- Note: Setting the account to Pending allows you to manually approve the members. Check the following URL manually-approve-members-membership-site to learn more.
- Note: A new filter has been added that allows you to override this behavior from pending to active for renewal accounts. Click on the following link forum post to learn more.
Step 3 ) The following image Pages Settings allows you to set up the plugins default pages. These pages are created by the plugin when you install and activate the plugin for the first time.
Note: If you decide to add your own pages, or change the names of the pages to a different language, make sure you enter the correct page URL for each corresponding field. Also make sure the correct shortcode is added to the correct page. In this example the URL address is http://localhost/tipstricks/. In your case the URL address will be different.
- Login Page URL = http://localhost/tipstricks/membership-login/. The shortcode added to this page is [swpm_login_form]
- Registration Page URL = http://localhost/tipstricks/membership-join/membership-registration/. The shortcode for this page is [swpm_registration_form]
- Join Us Page URL = http://localhost/tipstricks/membership-join/. This page simply advertises your membership website. In this page you can add any information, publicity, membership levels and more.
- Edit Profile Page URL = http://localhost/tipstricks/membership-login/membership-profile/. The shortcode for this page is [swpm_profile_form]
- Password Reset Page URL = http://localhost/tipstricks/membership-login/password-reset/. The shortcode for this page is [swpm_reset_form] Note: You can change your password reset page URL to point to your site’s WordPress login’s password reset page. So the password reset is taken care of by WP. Usually that URL will be something like the following (you can add it to your navigation menu also): yourdomain.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword. That password reset process will work fine with our plugin (since after the password is reset by wp, our plugin will get notification from wp and take care of things for that member profile). Click the following link forum post to learn more.
Test & Debug Settings
Step 4 ) The following image Test & Debug Settings allows you to set up the following options.
Test & Debug Settings Options
- Enable Debug = Note: Check Step 4-a ) and Step 4-b ) below to learn more.
- Enable Sandbox Testing = Note: PayPal only offers the credit card checkout option in the business or premier account. This feature is not available in the personal PayPal account. When you enable sandbox testing make sure your PayPal account is either a business or premier account.
- Click on Save Changes button when you complete the general settings.
The following message will be displayed at the top of your admin plugin settings page when you enable this feature.
Message: You have the sandbox payment mode enabled in plugin settings. Make sure to turn off the sandbox mode when you want to do live transactions.
Step 4-a ) The following image displays the message that you receive if the plugin cannot find the log file in your site.
Note: The plugin directory path in your site will be different.
Step 4-b ) The following image displays a success log file reset when the log file is present in your site.
Q1 ) I have a problem with the more tag protection. It is not working in my site. How can I fix this?
Answer: In most cases you probably forgot to enable content protection in the page or post. Please see the following image to learn more. You need to enable the following option Yes, Protect this content. for the more tag protection to work. Don’t enable a membership level because if you do then the teaser feature will not work and your whole content will be protected instead.
That is all you need to do to setup the general settings in the plugin.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Simple Membership Plugin Tutorial List: