First Time Blogging WordPress Backup covers information about different backup plugins and the importance of creating regular backups.
Last Updated: December 3, 2019
Latest News: Updated the documentation.
Photo by woodsy from Rgbstock website.
First Time Blogging WordPress Backup
The first step you need to take is to install a backup plugin and create a backup of your site. Once you have created your first backup start installing your theme, plugins and then create another backup. This allows you to have two backups of your site before you start configuring any settings. What this means is, if there is an issue with one of the plugins or theme, you can recover your site with the first backup.
Now you are ready to start configuring your security settings and your plugins. Once you have done this, create another backup. This method of having 3 different backups can help you recover your site quickly if something goes wrong.
Websites can crash for various reasons and this happens quite often believe or not. For example: An issue can occur from incompatible plugins, your theme has a bug and it corrupts your site, your host PHP version is old and out of date, MySQL database version in the server is old, WordPress releases a version with a bug etc. I think you get the picture.
Backup Method Steps:
- First backup, has noting installed except the backup plugin.
- Second backup, allows you to recover if the plugins or themes have an issue and corrupts your site.
- Third backup, is a backup of your site, theme and plugins configured.
Now you know how important backups are. However, have you ever tested any of your backups? I can bet you that you haven’t! This is something many keep forgetting. Until one day you need to recover your site from a backup only to find out the backup does not work. Bummer what can I do now? I know I am mentioning backups a lot, and that is because it is extremely important to be able to recover your site quickly from a clean and working backup.
Below is a list of backup plugins I highly recommend. However I use a backup system provided by ManageWP services. Their backup system is super easy to use and easy to recover a site. I know for a fact because I have already recovered one of my sites from a backup. And if you run into issues, their support staff a fantastic.
Backup Plugins I Recommend
- BackWPup: Click on the following URL Backup Restore WordPress to read my tutorial.
- UpdraftPlus – WordPress Backup and Restoration: Click on the following URL Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups to read my tutorial.
- XCloner: Click on the following URL Backup WordPress Using XCloner to read my tutorial.
- WordPress Duplicator: Click on the following URL WordPress Duplicator Backup Plugin Settings to read my tutorial.
Click on the following URL Theme Setup to continue with the setup.
You can also check my WordPress setup tutorials. I am constantly adding new ones.
If you have any questions please let me know. I will be updating this post from time to time so keep coming back for the latest.
First Time Blogging Using WordPress List: