Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin tutorial teaches you how to backup WordPress using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin.
Last Updated: October 12, 2022
Latest News: Updated the menu.
UpdraftPlus is a very simple plugin to set up and manage your backups. It has many advanced options and many premium addons to increase the functionality of the plugin.
Everyone knows how important it is to backup your WordPress site. You have spent countless hours configuring, updating, customizing and much more your website. Some of you might get your site compromised by someone hacking into it. Other issues might be related to an update going wrong, your server crashes or your hosting company goes bust.
Creating regular backups will make sure you can recover your site from any of the above incidents. You also need to test your backups regularly to make sure they do work. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to restore your site and the backup does not work.
That is when UpdraftPlus comes to the rescue.
UpdraftPlus Version 1.22.23 Changelog
- FIX: Fix “More Files” tracking on resumption
- FIX: Parse error when loading plugins and themes in UpdraftCentral. Error occurs when UpdraftPlus is installed in a system with PHP 5.6 or older.
- FIX: BinZip did not handle out-of-tree directory symlinks. These are now backed up as expected.
- FIX: When expired tokens occur during Vault uploads, reschedule and resume, to avoid incomplete pruning of backup history
- FIX: Inconsistent WebDAV host field behaviour where there are multiple WebDAV storage locations
- and more.
What you need:
UpdraftPlus Backups Restore Tutorials:
- Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
- Restore Existing Backups
- Advanced Tools
Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
Step 1 ) Install the plugin like you would normally do. Go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups as illustrated in the image below to start creating site backups.
Step 2 ) The following image displays the admin menu tabs. The following is a list of features you can configure before you start backing up your site.
UpdraftPlus Admin Menu:
- Backup / Restore
- Migrate / Clone
- Advanced Tools
- Premium / Extensions
Next scheduled backups:
- Click on Backup Now when you are ready to create a backup.
Take a new backup options
Step 3 ) To create a backup, click on Backup Now button from above. It gives you the following options.
Take a new backup options:
- Include your database in the backup
- Include your files in the backup
- Any other directories found inside wp-content
- Backup won’t be sent to any remote storage
- Only allow this backup to be deleted manually (i.e keep it even if retention limits a hit).
- Click on Backup Now button when you are ready to begin your backup.
Step 4 ) The following image shows you the backup in progress.
Step 3 ) Once the backup is completed you should see the backup listed as illustrated in the image below. You can then choose to carry out the following options.
- More tasks:
- Upload backup files
- Rescan local folder for new backup sets
- Rescan remote storage
- Backup date
- Backup data (click to download)
- View Log
Click on the following URL Restore Existing Backups to learn more.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time so keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
If you want to test your website locally, read the following instructions.
In the following tutorials you will learn how to setup WordPress locally using xampp and install your backup locally to run some testing.