Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin tutorial teaches you how to backup WordPress using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin.
This is a very simple and easy to use plugin and setup. It has many advance options as well if you choose to use them.
Last Updated: February 7, 2019
Latest News: I updated the changelog.
UpdraftPlus Version 1.16.4 Changelog
- FEATURE: If a restoration is interrupted (e.g. PHP timeout), then the “Continue” feature can now resume not just at the most recent zip file, but within the zip file at the point it had reached (https://updraftplus.com/auto-resuming-interrupted-restores-part-2/)
- FEATURE: Added command in WP-CLI which gives a list of incremental backups restore points.
- FIX: Regression: When a Dropbox upload failed to complete, UpdraftPlus would log this but fail to retry
- FIX: Again update phpseclib to the latest version which should now fix the ‘SSH2 Server Host Key Algorithm Mismatch’ on all installs
- TWEAK: Fix a wrong variable reference in an error message
- TWEAK: Replace incidental use of ipinfo.io now that it requires a paid API key
- TWEAK: The print_delete_old_dirs_form method should have been public to allow painting if the user clicked through the previous message
Note: The developers release development versions which addresses current issues. You might like to try this release version first before reporting any issues.
What you need:
UpdraftPlus Backups Restore Tutorials:
- Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
- Restore Existing Backups
- Debugging Expert Tools
Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
Step 1 ) Install the plugin like you would normally do. Then go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups to configure the plugin. See image below.
Step 2 ) The following image displays the admin menu. The following is the list of tabs available for you to manage and make some adjustments.
- Current Status
- Existing Backups
- Debugging / Expert Tools
UpdraftPlus Admin Options
Step 3 ) The following image allows you to select from the following options.
Note: If this is the first time you install this plugin, you will not see much information until you start creating backups.
- Backup Now
Next scheduled backups
- Time now
Last backup job run
- No backup has been completed
Last log message
- (Nothing yet logged)
Backups, logs & restoring
- 0 Se(s) available
Backup Now Feature
Step 4 ) To create a backup, click on Backup Now button from above. It gives you the following options.
- Don’t include the database in the backup
- Don’t include any files in the backup
- Don’t send this backup to remote storage
- If nothing happens when you attempt to backup click Go here for help
- Click on Backup Now button
Step 5 ) The following image shows you the backup in progress.
Click on the following URL Restore Existing Backups to learn more.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time so keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
If you want to test your website locally, read the following instructions.
In the following tutorials you will learn how to setup WordPress locally using xampp and install your backup locally to run some testing.
- First read the following tutorial Install WordPress locally using Xampp to set up your WordPress locally
- Second read the following tutorial Test Your WordPress Site Locally which will show you how to restore BackWPup backup locally for testing and editing.