Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin tutorial teaches you how to backup WordPress using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin.
Last Updated: May 23, 2020
Latest News: I updated the changelog.
This is a very simple and easy to use plugin and setup. It has many advanced options as well if you choose to use them.
UpdraftPlus Version 1.16.24 Changelog
- FEATURE: Support migration between different “generate columns” syntaxes of MySQL and MariaDB
- FEATURE: Added the ability to choose the remote storage locations you want to send your backup to in the “Backup Now” modal
- FIX: If non-WordPress tables are selected in the advanced ‘Backup Now’ options, then back them up (even if the saved setting to back them up is off). i.e. “Backup Now” over-ride options should have been taking priority.
- FIX: Failure to restore database ‘view’ in some rare circumstances due to the nonexistent DEFINER account and lack of privileges
- TWEAK: Handle binary data during backup
- TWEAK: Add strack_st to the lists of large logging tables and tables not requiring search/replace
- and more.
What you need:
UpdraftPlus Backups Restore Tutorials:
- Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
- Restore Existing Backups
- Debugging Expert Tools
Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
Step 1 ) Install the plugin like you would normally do. Then go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups to configure the plugin. See image below.
Step 2 ) The following image displays the admin menu. The following is the list of tabs available for you to manage and make some adjustments.
- Current Status
- Existing Backups
- Debugging / Expert Tools
UpdraftPlus Admin Options
Step 3 ) The following image allows you to select from the following options.
Note: If this is the first time you install this plugin, you will not see much information until you start creating backups.
- Backup Now
Next scheduled backups
- Time now
Last backup job run
- No backup has been completed
Last log message
- (Nothing yet logged)
Backups, logs & restoring
- 0 Se(s) available
Backup Now Feature
Step 4 ) To create a backup, click on Backup Now button from above. It gives you the following options.
- Don’t include the database in the backup
- Don’t include any files in the backup
- Don’t send this backup to remote storage
- If nothing happens when you attempt to backup click Go here for help
- Click on Backup Now button
Step 5 ) The following image shows you the backup in progress.
Click on the following URL Restore Existing Backups to learn more.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time so keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
If you want to test your website locally, read the following instructions.
In the following tutorials you will learn how to setup WordPress locally using xampp and install your backup locally to run some testing.