WP Contact Form 7 Default Settings post talks about the default form settings, when you fist install the plugin and more.
WordPress has many different contact forms available for you to download. Contact Form 7 is one of the old veteran contact form plugins available in the repository. It has a long history and a well established reputation with millions of active installations world wide. It is a simple straight forward contact form plugin for you to manage but you can also create some very complex forms for free. You could say that you have a bit of both worlds in a contact form plugin. The ability to create very simple forms and the ability to create very complex forms.
The default form created by the plugin when you first install and activate it, has the following default fields added.
Default Contact Form Fields:
- Your Name
- Your Email
What you need:
- Contact Form 7 plugin
WP Contact Form 7 Default Settings
Step 1 ) Go to Contact -> Contact Forms to edit or start adding new forms. The plugin only has 3 admin menus to manage as illustrated in the image below. This makes contact form 7 easy to manage.
Admin Menu Features
- Contact Forms
- Add New
Step 2 ) Go to Contact -> Contact Forms -> Form tab as illustrated in the image below, to view and edit the form fields. It is very straight forward to understand what each field does. The details below provides some information about the fields.
- <label> Your Name (required) = This is the label field that is displayed in the form.
- [text* your-name] </label> = This is the empty text field required that is displayed in the form. What this means is, anyone submitting the form from your site must fill in this field. Or else they will receive an error message.
- The form tag [submit “Send”] is a straight forward submit button that is not surrounded by label tags.
Step 2-a ) The following image shows you the default contact form displayed from the front of the site. These fields are the fields edited in the previous Step 2 ) above. The shortcode used to display the contact form is
[contact-form-7 id="36" title="Contact form 1"].
Note: Your shortcode ID and Title will be different.
Step 3 ) Go to Contact -> Contact Forms -> Mail tab as illustrated in the image below, to edit the mail tab. The following is a list of mail fields you can edit.
Mail Fields Settings
- Additional Headers = The following entry Reply-To: [your-email] allows the recipient to reply to the e-mail address that was entered in the form by the sender.
Step 3-a ) The following image allows you to edit the Message Body. This is the message the recipient sees when they receive the e-mail.
Message Body Settings
- Message Body = you can add any message you want as long as you use the proper mail-tags.
- Exclude lines with blank mail-tags from output
- Use HTML content type
Step 3-b ) The following image allows you to edit the following options in the Mail tab.
Mail Extra Settings
- File Attachments
- Mail (2)
- Click on Save button when you complete the settings.
Step 4 ) Go to Contact -> Contact Forms -> Messages tab to edit the following messages. You can add any text you want to each message. However the default messages added by the plugin are clear, precise and make sense. So you really don’t have to make any changes here.
Messages Fields Settings
- Sender’s message failed to send
- Validation errors occurred
- Submission was referred to as spam
- There are terms that the sender must accept
- There is a field that the sender must fill in
- There is a field with input that is longer than the maximum allowed length
- There is a field with input that is shorter than the minimum allowed length
- Date format that the sender entered is invalid
- Date is earlier than minimum limit
- Date is later than maximum limit
- Uploading a file fails for any reason
- Uploaded file is not allowed for file type
- Uploaded file is too large
- Uploading a file fails for PHP error
- Number format that the sender entered is invalid
- Number is smaller than minimum limit
- Number is larger than maximum limit
- Sender doesn’t enter the correct answer to the quiz
- Email address that the sender entered is invalid
- URL that the sender entered is invalid
- Telephone number that the sender entered is invalid
Step 5 ) The following image Additional Settings allows you to add extra settings to each form separately. Click additional-settings link to learn more. Make sure you click on Save button when you complete the settings.
That’s how simple it is to set up a contact form in your site using Contact Form 7 plugin.
If you have any questions please let me know.