WordPress Simple Download Monitor Plugin post shows you now to control and monitor all your downloads from your website and more.
Last Updated: October 19, 2022
Latest News: Updated the documentation.
If you are thinking about adding download files to your website or blog then this is the plugin for you. It is simple to setup and great to manage and monitor all your downloads. Most important it is Free.
Simple Download Monitor 3.9.15 Changelog
- Fixed an issue with the “Quick Edit” link in the downloads menu hanging.
- Added a new utility function in the debug logging class.
To Do List:
- Is it possible to change the default location for files uploaded via the plugin? = Check the following forum post for more information.
- Are you going to add invisible Google reCAPTCHA? = Check the following support thread.
- Will you be adding a sharing option in the fancy display template? = The developers will be adding this feature in the future. Check the following forum post for more information.
- Is there a way to display tags for individual files on the download page as with the optional size, version etc? = The developers have added this to the to do list. Check the following support thread for more information.
What you need:
- Squeeze Form Addon (Email Lock)
- Amazon S3 Integration
- Hidden/Private Downloads Addon
- Dropbox Integration Addon
- Allow Other File Types to be Uploaded
- Email Notification on Download Addon
WordPress Simple Download Monitor Tutorials
- Advanced Settings
- Log File
- Add New WP Simple Download Monitor File
- Create New Post
- Troubleshooting Tips
- [sdm_download_categories_list ] = This shortcode will list all available categories in your site.
- [sdm_search_form ] = This shortcode displays a search form for searching SDM downloads only
- [sdm_show_download_info id=”123″ download_info=”file_size” ] = This shortcode will display the file size for a download item.
- [sdm_show_download_info id=”123″ download_info=”file_version” ] = This shortcode shows the file version for the download item.
- [sdm_popular_downloads ] = This shortcode displays popular downloads.
WordPress Simple Download Monitor Plugin Steps
Step 1 ) Go to Downloads on the admin menu to set up and view the following options. See image below.
Downloads Admin Menu
- Add New
Step 2 ) Go to Downloads -> Downloads to see all your downloads. You can sort your downloads by the following fields except the Image field.
- Image = Note: Cannot sort by this field.
- Date Posted
Step 3 ) Go to Downloads -> Add New to create a new download. This is very similar to adding a new Page or Post. Note: Click on the following URL Create New File to learn more.
Step 4 ) Go to Downloads -> Categories to create new categories for your download files. This is similar to adding new categories for posts.
Step 5 ) Go to Downloads -> Tags to create new tags for your download files. This is similar to adding new tags for posts.
Step 6 ) Go to Downloads -> Logs to set up and mange the log files. Note: Click on the following URL Log File to learn more.
Step 7 ) Go to Downloads -> Stats to view the statistics for all the downloads in your site. See image below.
Choose Date Range
- This Month
- Last Month
- This Year
- Last Year
- All Time
- Once you have selected the viewing method click on View Stats button.
Step 7-a ) The following image allows you to view the following stat options.
Different Download Viewing Tabs
- Downloads by date
- Downloads by country = Note: You need to enter your Google Maps API Key in the Advanced Settings tab to properly display the chart.
- Downloads by country list
- Downloads by browser
- Downloads by OS
- Top Downloads
Q1 Is there any way to hide the columns: file, categories, tags, downloads based on a specific user role?
Answer: This is not possible at this stage. If the user’s role has permission to view the admin interface of the “Download Item”, then he/she can see the full download details. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q2 Is there an option to integrate the plugin with google drive?
Answer: There is no integration at the moment. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q3 How can I use a shortcode syntax to obtain the download count for a given item?
Answer: Someone in the forum provided a solution. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q4 Can I change the permalink download slug structure?
Answer: This is not possible with our plugin unfortunately. There are some structural issue with changing the slug of the custom post type that is used by this plugin. Check the following link forum post to learn more.
Q1 When I go to stats, I can’t seem to select a time period, and whatever tab I click on (Downloads by date, Download by country etc) I receive this message. Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.
That is all you need to do to add and monitor your download files.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time. Make sure you come back for the latest updates.
If you have any questions please let me know.