WordPress Affiliates Manager Create New Affiliate post shows you how to manually create a new member for your affiliate store.
Last Updated: July 31, 2019
Latest News: I updated the documentation below.
The information below covers all aspects of creating new affiliates member for your site. These steps apply to affiliates registering via the registration form or an administrator adding a new affiliate member manually via the plugins admin panel.
WordPress Affiliates Manager Create New Affiliate
Affiliates Home Page
When the application form is submitted via the registration page the plugin will notify the admin of the new affiliate sign up via email. The admin can then view the application (from WordPress admin dashboard) and choose to approve or decline the registration.
When the admin approves the registration the affiliate will receive the approval via email. A WordPress user account will be automatically created for the new affiliate. What this means is that the new affiliate will have a WP Users account created as well as an Affiliated account. This allows the affiliate to log into both areas of your site.
Note: When an affiliate signs up, a WordPress user account is automatically created. That means the password is automatically created by WordPress and sent via email. However, once they log in to their dashboard they will be able to change it.
Step 1 ) The following image displays the affiliates home page and instructions about signing up. The information on the home page can be customized if you want. The person landing on this page has the following choices.
- Click on log in link, if they are already members.
- Click on register link to register for a new account.
Important: This tutorial was created in a local laptop using Xampp. The URL using Xampp is [http://localhost/wordpress/]. Your URL will be different. For example: yoursite.com/affiliate-home/. Please make a note of this.
Home Path URL
- The store affiliates home page URL path is /affiliate-home/. When you install the plugin this page is crested for your automatically.
- The shortcode found in this page is [AffiliatesHome ].
- The full URL in this example is [http://localhost/wordpress/affiliate-home/]. In your case the full path will be different.
Affiliate Registration Form
Step 2 ) The following image displays the affiliates registration page. This form has only a few fields just for testing purposes. The information on the home page can be customized if you want. The person registering via the form has to fill out the following fields.
Affiliates Registration Form
- First Name (Required field)
- Last Name (Required field)
- E-Mail Address (Required field)
- I have read and agree to the Terms and conditions. (Note: The affiliate must agree to the terms and conditions before they can register. If you have the “automatically approve a new affiliate” option enabled in the settings, newly registered affiliates won’t have to accept the terms and conditions.)
Manually Add An Affiliate
Step 3 ) Go to Affiliates -> New Affiliate to add a new affiliate manually. The following image displays a list of the affiliates members created for the store. For this example I added one affiliate manually.
Remember: Once you fill out the required contact information, your new affiliate will receive an email with their username and password. They will automatically be approved, but will still have to log in to agree to the terms & conditions and set their preferred payment method.
Note: A WordPress user account will also be created for the affiliate. The password generated by WordPress will be sent to the affiliate via e-mail.
New Affiliate Details
- Affiliate ID = 4
- Status = Active
- First Name = Bob
- Last Name = Smith
- Email = firstname.lastname@example.org, this is the login user name.
Step 4 ) Once you have added a new affiliate, this affiliate is also added to WP Users. The following image displays the new added user.
New Added User Credentials
- Username = email@example.com
- Email = firstname.lastname@example.org
- Role = Affiliate (Note: The “Affiliate” role has the same capability as a “Subscriber”.)
Step 5 ) The following image Affiliate Login display the login widget. This is what an affiliate member uses to login once their membership has been approved.
Affiliate Login Path URL
- The affiliate login page URL path is /affiliate-home/affiliate-login/. When you install the plugin this page is crested for your automatically.
- The shortcode found in this page is [AffiliatesLogin ].
- The full login URL in this example is [http://localhost/wordpress/affiliate-home/affiliate-login/]. In your case the full path will be different.
Note: The affiliate can reset the password by clicking on the following link lost your password? from the login widget if they choose to.
Step 6 ) The following image Store Affiliates shows you what the affiliate sees when they log into their account. The new affiliate member will have access to the following menu tabs in their account.
Affiliate Menu Tabs
- Affiliate Links
- Edit Profile = The affiliate can now change their password from here.
- Log out = The affiliate can now log out from their account.
Step 6-a ) The default store affiliates home page URL path is /affiliate-home/. The shortcode is [AffiliatesHome ] and the the full URL in this example is [http://localhost/wordpress/affiliate-home/].
Note: Your URL path will be different i.e. yoursite.com/affiliate-home/.
Step 7 ) The following image shows you the WordPress user login menu displayed above the Store Affiliates menu.
Step 8 ) The following image shows you what the member sees when they click on the above link Dashboard. They can see the following in their account.
Step 9 ) The following image shows you what a member sees when their account has been deactivated but the WordPress Users account is still active. They have access to the WordPress Users login but not to the Store Affiliates login area.
Step 10 ) The following image Error Message is displayed when a new member tries to log in without their account being approved or active.
Q1 I have a problem when “Settings / General / Automatically approve a new affiliate” is set to true. The registered user does not receive the following contents of the “affiliate_application_approved_email” email, giving them their username, password and login url as per e-mail settings.
Answer: This happens when you try to create an affiliate account when you are logged in as a WordPress user. There is no need to create new credentials for an existing WordPress user account.
Q1 Do my newly registered affiliates need to agree to the terms and conditions?
Answer: If you have the “automatically approve a new affiliate” option enabled in the settings, newly registered affiliates won’t have to accept the terms and conditions.
The above instructions should help you manage and add new store members manually. It will also help you troubleshoot other login or registration issues you might encounter.
Click on the following URL How Logged In WP Users Register To Become Affiliates to continue with the settings.
If you have any questions please let me know.
WP Affiliates Manager Tutorials List