How To Install Or Upgrade Suffusion Theme shows you how to manually install the latest version of suffusion theme by following a few steps and more.
Last Updated: January 27, 2020
Latest News: Updated the documentation.
Most people nowadays know how to install a theme in WordPress. In this documentation you will learn how to upload and install Suffusion theme in your site, upload the zip folder from your computer to the server, unzip the folder and replace the files in the server or upload only the files that have been modified.
The following list explains the steps you need to take to achieve this. There are 3 methods mentioned below that will help you install Suffusion theme. Choose the method that best describes your situation.
List of step to carry out:
- Download the latest version from github. (Applies to all methods)
- Create a backup of your site just in case something goes wrong. (Applies to all methods)
- Install Suffusion theme for the first time.
- Install a second theme and put your site in maintenance mode.
- Delete and/ or replace the current version from your site.
- Upload the theme from your computer or laptop and unzip the content.
- Copy and paste to replace the existing files.
- Activate Suffusion parent theme or the child theme if you are using one.
- Import the settings if you exported them.
- Check to make sure the theme is working correctly.
Suffusion Theme / Child Theme Tutorials:
- How To Install Suffusion Theme
- Create A Suffusion Child Theme In a Few Steps
- Suffusion Theme Options Back End Child Themes
How To Install Or Upgrade Suffusion Theme
The best and safest method to install or upgrade Suffusion theme is illustrated in the following steps. Please make sure you follow each step correctly.
If you don’t have a security plugin in place, I highly recommend the following security plugin All In One WP Security And Firewall. This plugin has a feature that allows you to put your site in maintenance mode. Click the following link all-in-one-wp-security-and-firewall-maintenance to learn more.
Method 1: First Time Installing The Theme
These steps are meant for those who are installing Suffusion theme for the first time.
Step 1 ) Download to your computer/ laptop the latest version from the following URL github.com/sayontan/suffusion/tree/master/dist.
Step 2 ) Create a back up of your site, this is just for precaution just in case something goes wrong. Like they say, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Step 3 ) Install suffusion theme like you normally install a theme but don’t activate the theme just yet. Click on Live Preview button to make sure it looks correct to you. If it does not look right and you need to carry out some tweaking and customization, put your site in Maintenance mode before going live.
Note: The following documentation how-to-install-wordpress-theme.php shows you how to install a theme.
Method 2: Updating Current Theme Installation
These steps are meant for those who have an older version of Suffusion and want to replace the old theme with the updated version.
Step 4 ) First export suffusion settings just in case you have created a lot of customization in Suffusion. Click the following link suffusion-theme-options-introduction-export-import to learn more.
Note: If you have a child theme installed for Suffusion, you don’t have to export the settings if all of your customization is carried out in the child theme.
Step 5 ) Install a second theme. WordPress has some great default themes, I recommend that you install one of WordPress default themes like Twenty Nineteen. Put your site in maintenance mode. (Remember: This should only take a few minutes if everything goes well.) Activate the new theme you just installed and delete suffusion theme.
Step 6 ) Install and activate the latest version you downloaded in Step 1 ) above. Import suffusion settings if you exported the settings in Step 4 ) above.
Note: If you have a child theme for Suffusion, you need to activate the child theme.
Step 7 ) Check to make sure all your settings are correct and your site looks the same as before.
Step 8 ) You should now have your site running the latest version of Suffusion.
Method 3: Updating The Theme Manually (By FTP or Other)
These steps are meant for those who have access to their server via FTP or file manager and know what they are doing. (Highly recommended for experts only).
Step 9 ) Use File Manager in cPanel or FileZilla. (Note: Use the plugin WP File Manager, if you are not comfortable using file manager or cpanel.)
- Upload the zipped folder you downloaded from Step 1 ) above.
- Unzip the folder and copy and paste the content into the suffusion folder that already exist in your server. This will override all Suffusion files and folders with the updated version.
- Import suffusion settings if you exported the settings in Step 4 ) above.
- Visit your site to make sure it looks the same as before. Also make sure everything looks and works okay in Suffusion admin panel.
Note: Alternative you can simply upload the files mentioned below under Files Locations.
Step 10-a ) If you choose to upload only the files needed as mentioned below and use FileZilla, the process is similar.
- Unzip the content in your laptop or computer.
- Locate the files mentioned below.
- Upload the files to the same location in Suffusion.
- Check your site and Suffusion admin panel.
Suffusion Theme Installed Location
- yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/ = suffusion and child-theme
If you downloaded version 4.5.6 and this is the first time you upgrade the theme, then you only need to upload the files mentioned below. This can save you having to upload the whole theme to your server.
The following is a list of the changes made to Suffusion by the developers in the versions mentioned below. Please refer to the corresponding File Location for each updated version.
Note: Only upload the files you need. For example: If your theme version is 4.5.6, then you only need to upload the file changed in version 4.5.7. If your theme version is 4.5.1, then you need to upload all the files from version 4.5.2 upwards.
Version 4.5.7 – 23 January 2020
Changed “continue” statement in several php files:
- /functions/filters.php, template.php.
- all files from /layouts/ directory.
- /widgets/suffusion-featured-posts.php, suffusion-subscription.
Version 4.5.6 – 21 May 2016
Fixed Warning: “continue” targeting switch is equivalent to “break”. in media.php.
Version 4.5.4 – 4.5.5 – Colin fixes
Fixed my mistakes in versioning the theme and returning back to http instead https in site-footer.php
Version 4.5.3 – 06 Mar 2018 – Opa Jaap fixes
Fixed PHP notices: “Trying to get property ‘ID’ of non-object” in actions.php and “Undefined index: HTTP_USER_AGENT” in framework.php.
Version 4.5.2 – 23 Feb 2018 – Opa Jaap bug fixes
Solved bug related to not always saving the changes from Custom Styles when is settled to save those changes in a file.
Version 4.5.1 – 12 Feb 2018 – Drake version
Minor changes to the code for preventing the PHP warnings on servers with PHP 7+
If you have any questions please leave a comment. I will be updating this tutorial from time to time.
More suffusion tutorials: