WordPress The SEO Framework Sitemap Settings helps you to configure and set up a sitemap for your website with a few clicks and a few boxes enabled.
Last Updated: September 11, 2019
Latest News: I updated the documentation.
In this post you will learn how to add a sitemap to your website and then submit the sitemap to search engines like Google, Bing and Yandex. It is very important to have a sitemap presence in your websites. Any website that does not have a sitemap runs the risk of not being found by search engines.
The SEO Framework only requires a few boxes to be enabled for you to have a sitemap added to your site.
Information: If you want to exclude pages or posts from the sitemap, simply set “noindex” via TSF. You can read more about it from the following support thread.
WordPress The SEO Framework Sitemap Settings
Note: The sitemap and robots.txt have been optimized in version 2.9.2, read below.
- The sitemap now supports plain permalinks. That means it now literally works for every website.
- The robots.txt file has been enhanced, so it now informs you when the output location is incorrect.
Step 1 ) Go to SEO -> Sitemap Settings to set up the following features. There are 5 tabs you can set up for the sitemap.
Step 2 ) The following image General allows you to set up the following settings.
- Output sitemap? = Enable this feature to create the sitemap.
- Click on the following link here = This will display the sitemap in the browser.
- Sitemap Query Limit
Note: When you click on the link here as illustrated above with the arrow, you should see the following www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml displayed in the browser. If you don’t see the the URL then you know there is a problem.
Step 3 ) The following image Robots.txt allows you to view your robots.txt file if you have one set up in your server.
- Add sitemap location in robots?
- Click on the following link here = This will display the robots.txt file in the browser.
- Sitemap Query Limit
Step 4 ) The following image Metadata allows you to select the following options.
- Add <lastmod> to the sitemap?
- Add <priority> to the sitemap?
Step 5 ) The following image Ping allows you to select the search engines you would like to ping to.
- Google = It is important that you sign up to Google Webmasters Tools.
- Bing = It is important that you sign up to Bing Webmasters Toolbox.
Note: If you don’t understand this feature very well, just enable the two options anyway. This will greatly improve your presence in the following search engines.
Step 6 ) The following image Style allows you to customize the sitemap display style in the browser when your visitors view the sitemap. The style option is more for the visitors to visually see the sitemap on the browser.
Note: Search engines are only interested in the raw data from the web pages source code.
- Enable Style Sitemap
- Sitemap header background color
- Sitemap title and lines color
Step 6-a ) The following sitemap image shows you how the sitemap looks when viewed in the browser as per the style settings above.
The settings above are important for your website and managing the sitemap. This allows you to make sure that the sitemap is displayed correctly and working. Very important for browsers. Great for SEO.
I will be adding more information soon. So keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
The SEO Framework Plugin Tutorial List: