WordPress Simple Membership MailChimp Integration Setup shows you how to integrate MailChimp Add-on with the plugin.
Last Updated: February 12, 2018
Latest News: I have updated the information to reflect the latest addon version 1.7 update.
In this tutorial you will learn how to integrate WordPress Simple Membership plugin with MailChimp. You will learn how to automatically signup members to MailChimp list and or interest group names. As the developers update the addon, I will also make changes to this small tutorial.
What You Need:
- Simple Membership plugin. You must install this plugin before you can carry on with this small tutorial.
WordPress Simple Membership MailChimp Integration Setup
Step 1 ) Download and Install the following plugin Simple Membership MailChimp Integration add-on.
Step 2 ) Go to WP Membership -> MailChimp to set up the add-on. See image below.
Step 3 ) The following image MailChimp Integration shows you where you have to add your MailChimp API Key. Click on Save button once you have completed this step.
Important: Make sure the API Key is active.
Once you have carried out the above then you need to add the MailChimp list and or interest group names to your membership level. In this example I have chosen the free membership level.
Step 4 ) The following image Edit membership level allows you to set up the following options.
- Membership Level Name (required)
- Default WordPress Role (required)
- Access Duration (required) (For this test I selected No Expiry (Access for this level will not espire until cancelled)
- MailChimp List Name (Note: Make sure you select an active list and or interest group name from your MailChimp account.) (Note: Your list name will be different to the one in this example.)
- Once you finished click on Edit Membership Level button
Membership Level ID
I added the following step because I am using the Free Level membership level in this example.
Step 5 ) The following image Membership level shows you the membership ID 2. (Remember your ID might be a different number)
Step 6 ) The following image General Settings allows you to set up the following options.
- Enable Free Membership Level
- Free Membership Level ID I entered membership ID 2. (Remember your ID might be a different number)
Step 7 ) The following steps will help you test to make sure the subscribers are added to the MailChimp list.
- Subscribed to the Free Membership Level from your website with a none registered account.
- Go to the e-mail account from the subscriber above. See if you have received the confirmation e-mail. If you have then click and confirm the subscription.
- Go back to MailChimp and see if the subscriber has been added to the List. If the member has been added then you are successful. If not then go back to the top and make sure you followed all the steps.
Troubleshooting MailChimp Integration
Q1 ) I want my Mailchimp Integration to respond to a manual membership level change. How do I achieve this?
Solution: Mailchimp list signup doesn’t work based on the account status at this stage. What you can do is use an additional level to achieve what you are after. When you are manually setting their level to “active”, also change their membership level to a NEW level. You can create as many levels as you want to so you can create a new level with the same permission but when someone is in this level, you know that they have gotten the manual approval.
Remember this example is using the free level setup. You might be implementing a paid level setup. The steps shown above are the same for what ever level you decide to integrate with a MailChimp list.
Click on the following URL After Login Redirect add-on to continue.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Simple Membership Plugin Tutorial List: