Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin tutorial teaches you how to backup WordPress using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin. This is a very simple and easy to use plugin and setup. It has many advance options as well if you choose to use them.
Last Updated: April 5, 2017
Latest News: I have updated the changelog.
UpdraftPlus Version 1.12.40 Changelog
- TWEAK: The in-page log file display had stopped continuously updating in 1.12.32
- FIX: In some circumstances, settings for the storage modules refactored in 1.12.37 could fail to show
- FIX: The free version of 1.12.37/38 in some circumstances could fail to complete Dropbox authentication
Remember: David Anderson keeps updating the current plugin even though the release number is not changed. So you might want to update it again if you need too. David also releases development versions which addresses any current issues that are reported in the support forum. The support for this plugin is 10/10
What you need:
UpdraftPlus Backups Restore Tutorials:
- Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
- Restore Existing Backups
- Debugging Expert Tools
Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups Steps
Step 1 ) Install the plugin like you would normally do. Then go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups to configure the plugin. See image below.
Step 2 ) The following image displays all the options in a tab layout, this is much better and easier to follow than the previous version. See image below.
- Current Status
- Existing Backups
- Debugging / Expert Tools
Step 3 ) The following image allows you to select from the following options.
Information: If this is the first time you install this plugin then you will not see much information below until you start creating backups.
- Backup Now
Next scheduled backups
- Time now
Last backup job run
- No backup has been completed
Last log message
- (Nothing yet logged)
Backups, logs & restoring
- 0 Se(s) available
Backup Now Feature
Step 4 ) To create a backup, click on Backup Now button from above. It gives you the following options.
- Don’t include the database in the backup
- Don’t include any files in the backup
- Don’t send this backup to remote storage
- If nothing happens when you attempt to backup click Go here for help
- Click on Backup Now button
Step 5 ) The following screen shows you the backup in progress.
Click on the following URL Restore Existing Backups to learn more.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time so keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
If you want to test your website locally, read the following instructions.
In the following tutorials you will learn how to setup WordPress locally using xampp and install your backup locally to run some testing.
- First read the following tutorial Install WordPress locally using Xampp to set up your WordPress locally
- Second read the following tutorial Test Your WordPress Site Locally which will show you how to restore BackWPup backup locally for testing and editing.