Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin tutorial teaches you how to backup WordPress using UpdraftPlus Backups plugin.
This is a very simple and easy to use plugin and setup. It has many advance options as well if you choose to use them.
Last Updated: November 29, 2017
Latest News: I have updated the changelog.
UpdraftPlus Version 1.13.15 Changelog
- FIX: Updated OneDrive SDK to allow for PHP 7.2 (due for release soon) compatibility
- FIX: When multiple remote backup destinations existed, pruning of old backup sets was not removing from all destinations (recent regression)
- FIX: When re-scanning a Rackspace Cloud Files remote location, only the first 100 files were processed
- FIX: Backups being downloaded twice from Dropbox during a restore which could cause unexpected results upon a site migration
- FIX: The ‘SCP’ and ‘Server-side encryption’ checkboxes in the settings was always ticked in the browser upon reload, regardless of the saved setting (regression in 1.13.14)
- TWEAK: Improve export settings file name by appending site name to export download file
- TWEAK: Perform escaping of table names in SQL calls without using esc_sql()
- TWEAK: Site option is deleted before updating it in multisite
- TWEAK: Improve WebDAV remote method upload speed
- TWEAK: Improve WebDAV remote method download speed
Note: The developers release development versions which addresses current issues. You might like to try this release version first before reporting any issues.
What you need:
UpdraftPlus Backups Restore Tutorials:
- Backup And Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
- Restore Existing Backups
- Debugging Expert Tools
Backup Restore WordPress Using UpdraftPlus Backups
Step 1 ) Install the plugin like you would normally do. Then go to Settings -> UpdraftPlus Backups to configure the plugin. See image below.
Step 2 ) The following image displays the admin menu. The following is the list of tabs available for you to manage and make some adjustments.
- Current Status
- Existing Backups
- Debugging / Expert Tools
UpdraftPlus Admin Options
Step 3 ) The following image allows you to select from the following options.
Note: If this is the first time you install this plugin, you will not see much information until you start creating backups.
- Backup Now
Next scheduled backups
- Time now
Last backup job run
- No backup has been completed
Last log message
- (Nothing yet logged)
Backups, logs & restoring
- 0 Se(s) available
Backup Now Feature
Step 4 ) To create a backup, click on Backup Now button from above. It gives you the following options.
- Don’t include the database in the backup
- Don’t include any files in the backup
- Don’t send this backup to remote storage
- If nothing happens when you attempt to backup click Go here for help
- Click on Backup Now button
Step 5 ) The following image shows you the backup in progress.
Click on the following URL Restore Existing Backups to learn more.
I will be updating this tutorial from time to time so keep coming back for the latest. If you have any questions please let me know.
If you want to test your website locally, read the following instructions.
In the following tutorials you will learn how to setup WordPress locally using xampp and install your backup locally to run some testing.
- First read the following tutorial Install WordPress locally using Xampp to set up your WordPress locally
- Second read the following tutorial Test Your WordPress Site Locally which will show you how to restore BackWPup backup locally for testing and editing.